00Memory loss – the failure to retrieve stored mental information – can be caused by a variety of factors. Mental and physical stress, lack of sleep, hormonal imbalance, recreational drug use, and alcoholism, as well as medical conditions such as thyroid disorders, allergies, head injury, candidiasis, depression, and hypoglycemia, are all possible contributors. Various drugs, including certain painkillers, antihistamines and decongestants, steroids, statin drugs, and blood-pressure medications, are other possible contributors.
The aging process is another factor that can affect memory. Brain cells communicate with each other through special chemical called neurotransmitters, which are necessary for learning, concentration, and recall. As the body ages, it produces fewer neurotransmitters. If, however, the brain receives an increased supply of the nutrients needed to produce neurotransmitters, it can slow down memory loss. Other possible causes of memory impairment include free-radical damage and cholesterol-clogged blood, which can restrict the necessary supply of nutrients to the brain.
The following suggested protocols were developed by Dr. Robert Goldman, cofounder of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine and founder and president of the National Academy of Sports Medicine.
Memory-Enhancing Brain-Nutrient Program
• Alpha-lipoic acid – 100 mg once a day
• B-complex vitamins – 50 mg twice a day
• Choline – 25 to 50 mg twice a day
• Coenzyme Q10 – 60 to 100 mg once a day
• Eicosapentaenoic acid EPA/DHA (fish oil) – 1,000 mg once a day
• Gingko biloba – 50 to 150 mg once a day
• Magnesium – 600 to 800 mg once a day
• Phosphatidylcholine (Lecithin) – 200 to 500 mg once a day
• Phosphatidylserine – 300 to 500 mg once a day
• Vitamin B9 (folic acid) – 250 to 400 mcg twice a day
• Vitamin B12 (cobalamin) – 500 mcg twice a day
• Vitamin C – 500 to 1,000 mg twice a day
• Zinc – 30 to 50 mg once a day
Supplements for Enhancing Mental Alertness
• B-complex vitamins
• Coenzyme Q10
• EPA/DHA (fish oil)
• Gingko biloba
• Phosphatidylcholine (Lecithin)
• Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid)
• Vitamin C
Supplements with USANA Vitamins Fish Oil BiOmega is an excellent way to ensure that your diet includes a concentrated balance of safe, healthful EPA and DHA in two convenient capsules per day. USANA BiOmega is one of the purest, highest quality products available on the market today.