Avocado Salad with Lime and Cumin Vinaigrette
This cool, creamy, and slightly spicy avocado salad is a creative and healthy side, perfect to accompany smoky grilled eats at a Fourth of July celebration.
• 1 tablespoon(s) cumin seeds
• 1/4 cup(s) (from about 2 limes) lime juice
• 1/4 cup(s) chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1/2 cup(s) whole cilantro leaves
• 2 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar
• 1 tablespoon(s) honey
• Kosher salt
• 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
• 1/4 cup(s) vegetable oil
• 4 cup(s) (about 6 ounces) arugula leaves
• 2 pound(s) (large) ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks, or cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
• 4 large ripe Hass avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1-inch chunks
• 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1. In 10-inch skillet, toast cumin seeds on medium-low for 3 to 5 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
2. In medium bowl , whisk together lime juice, chopped cilantro leaves, vinegar, honey, toasted cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add oils in slow, steady stream, whisking to combine. Dressing can be transferred to airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 hours.
3. Arrange arugula on serving platter. Top with tomatoes, avocados, and red onion. Drizzle with half of vinaigrette. Sprinkle with ground cumin and cilantro leaves. Serve with additional vinaigrette on the side, if desired.