Protect Yourself with Proper Skin Care
It’s cold outside. Which is good for winter activities, but bad for your skin. The constant temperature changes and blowing heat can quickly dry out your skin, leaving it dull and irritated.
As the weather cools down you need to refocus on your skin, which is why the American Academy of Dermatology has designated November as National Healthy Skin Month.
It may seem surface level, but skin care is more comprehensive than it appears. Your skin is your window to the outside world. As such, it is the first defense against germs and harsh elements.
Although your skin is tough, it has a lot to combat. Sun damage, pollution, bad diet, and stress cause your skin to age prematurely. And one in every three cancers diagnosed is a skin cancer, making it the most common form of cancer in the world.
Fortunately there are several things you can due to reduce the risks. By following these tips from leading dermatologist Regina Hamlin, M.D., you can help counteract environmental factors and keep your skin looking young and fresh:
- Protect your skin—The sun can cause damage and premature aging, so cover up and avoid prolonged sun exposure. Also stay away from tanning beds, which can lead to melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.
- Watch what you eat—A balanced diet, high in antioxidants, will help fight visible signs of aging.
- Adequate Nutrition—Consuming the right amount of vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids help your body and complexion maintain a healthy, youthful appearance.
- Drink plenty of water—Your skin needs water to maintain a healthy glow. Just like a raisin, your skin shows it when you don’t get enough.
- Proper skin care—Moisturize and cleanse your skin with paraben-free products that are free from added chemical preservatives.
- Get a check-up—Be sure to get a skin cancer related check-up annually, and perform frequent self-exams to check for changing moles or lesions.
Taking care of your skin is a lifelong endeavor, but the results are worth it. By comforting your skin, you can be comfortable in your skin no matter the season!