Go Out and Play
During the colder months, it’s easy to get cooped up indoors. But with a winter wonderland of outdoor fun available, there’s no reason your physical activity should suffer. Go get some sunlight, breathe in the crisp air, and consider these popular winter games…
- Skiing: This is a great cardiovascular workout that tones the entire body. It’s also a perfect stress reliever, as you’ll connect with nature and escape from monotony. Proper stretching, technique, and equipment are musts, though.
- Cross–country skiing: Much more low impact than downhill skiing, this version provides a full–body workout, improves posture, and burns hundreds of calories an hour. While navigating the scenic winter terrain, it probably won’t even feel like exercise.
- Snowboarding: You’ll need strong leg muscles to succeed in this calorie burner. Be sure to stick to your skill level and wear the right helmet and padding.
- Ice skating: Generally a low–impact exercise, skaters increase strength in their hips, hamstrings, and quadriceps while improving flexibility and agility.
- Hockey: This team sport is a great social outing that strengthens your core, quickly burns calories, and raises your heart rate; remember to stay hydrated.
- Curling: With a popularity boost from the Winter Olympics, more participants are realizing the improved balance, core strength, and hand–eye coordination of curling.