Combining vitamins with medication
Some medications can deplete your body of specific vitamins and minerals. Similarly, some vitamins can increase or decrease your body’s absorption of some medications. The following list provides common examples of both possibilities. If you are on any of the medications named here, you must discuss any nutritional changes with your doctor or healthcare professional. He will make sure your vitamins and medications do not interact, as well as aid you in replacing any depleted nutrients.
• Long-term use of antacids can lead to decreased folic acid absorption.
• Regular use of aspirin decreases folate levels.
• Birth control pills and other forms of estrogen replacement deplete the body of B vitamins.
• Too much vitamin B6 can decrease the effectiveness of levodopa (an effective treatment for Parkinson’s disease).
• Antiarrhythmic medications, such as Disopyramide (including Norpace) and Quindine sulfate, can cuase magnesium deficiency.
• Colchicine reduces the absorption of beta-carotene. It may also reduce the absorption of magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B12.
• Methotrexate, used to treat cancer and autoimmune disorders, can decrease beta-carotene, folic acid, and vitamin B12.
• Estrogen replacement increases calcium absorption.
• Anticonvulsants (seizure medication) can deplete the body of carnitine.
• Histamine-2 receptor antagonists (H2-blockers), such as cimetidine, can prevent or block the production of stomach acid and decrease vitamin D activity.
• HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statin drugs), used to lower cholesterol, stop your body from making coenzyme Q10.
• Medications to lower blood sugar, such as glyburide (including Diabeta), acetohexamide (including Dymelor), and tolazamide (including Tolinase), can lead to coenzyme Q10 deficiency.
• Digoxin (a medication usually prescribed for heart-related problems) can increase the rate of calcium excretion from the body.
• Fiber can decrease the absorption of digoxin.
• Diuretics (water pills) decrease magnesium, potassium, sodium, and zinc levels.
• Potassium-sparing diuretics deplete your body of folic acid, calcium, and zinc.
• Calcium can decrease the absorption of beta blockers.
• USANA Vitamins Digestive Health products, such as USANA Probiotic can help maintain a healthy digestive system for optimal nutrient availability and waste elimination.