Recipe: Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
Here is the latest and greatest burger combination! The base consists of black beans and cooked quinoa. The addition of spices and nutritional yeast creates a flavorful burger with the nutritional profile to satisfy your protein and fiber needs as well as the heft to keep you satisfied. Quinoa is a complete protein and both it and black beans are high in fiber, making this version of a veggie burger great for digestion and heart health!
Recipe: Baked Black Bean and Quinoa BurgersServes 4
What You’ll Need:
1 can black beans (15.5 ounces)
1/2 cup cooked quinoa (prepared according to package directions)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
What to Do:
- Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Make sure your quinoa is fully cooked and on hand!
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans and cooked quinoa with the remainder of the ingredients.
- Using (clean) hands or a fork, thoroughly mix the ingredients together, mashing the beans as you go. This should form a paste-like mixture that is easy to form into patties.
- Divide the mixture into four equal balls, and form each into a patty between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch thick.
- In a medium saucepan over high eat, cook the patties in 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for 1 minute on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Transfer the saucepan to a 400 degrees oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve on a whole-grain bun or “Greatist style” over fresh greens with your choice of fixings on top! Our favorite? A thick slice of tomato, fresh lettuce, and avocado slices dusted with paprika! (A little melted cheddar never hurts, either.)
by – Aylin Erman – glowkitchen.com