Pack a Picnic
Forgo the bucket of fried chicken and mayo–laden salads. Instead, fuel your day at the beach or park with a variety of delicious, energy–boosting foods.
Enjoy these healthy ideas for your next outdoor meal:
- It’s a wrap. Create easy–to–eat treats with spinach, tomato, or whole–wheat wraps filled with chicken or turkey breast, roast beef or ham, and loads of vegetables. Go meatless with hummus, seasoned tofu, or tempeh.
- Chop chop. Pack plenty of nature’s munchies — carrot sticks, celery, broccoli and cauliflower, sliced cucumber, and grape tomatoes. Plain low–fat yogurt mixed with fresh or dried herbs and spices makes a tasty dip.
- Nuts about nuts. Almonds and walnuts are easy to pack and taste great sprinkled on a salad — or right out of your hand. Just watch the portions — 1 ounce (1/4 cup) contains around 200 calories.
- Sweet surprises. Load up your picnic basket with fresh berries and chopped fruit. Toss watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon chunks with sliced strawberries and kiwis for a light fruit salad.
- Cheers. Quench your thirst with water, adding a few drops of fruit juice and a lemon or lime wedge — for flavor. For a special treat, make fresh–squeezed lemonade.