Mad About Salad
Whether they’re the leafy greens starter, the noodle dish at a potluck, or the potato favorite found at every barbeque, salads come in many different forms. Try these creative ways for tossing a nutritionally amped salad with added flavor to boot:
- Experiment with homemade dressings to remove extra fat, sugar, and artificial ingredients. But even store–bought vinaigrettes go a long way in providing taste without the extra calories.
- Sweeten your salad with dried fruits, berries, sliced apples, or orange segments while delivering antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- For a protein charge, try sliced avocado, chopped eggs, nuts, or beans; they can turn a side dish into a full entrée without loading on “bad” fat.
- Trade your normal noodles for whole wheat pasta. Add artichokes, diced bell peppers, and tomatoes for a pasta salad that doesn’t go to your waistline.
- Tone down the mayo and add more mustard to your potato salad for a zestier version with less fat. Spruce it up with celery, onion, and banana peppers for a bold, crunchy spin that stays light. Or forgo the creamy condiments altogether.