Out of the Goodness of Your Heart
What better way to express your love to those close to your heart than celebrating with ruby–hued foods that benefit body and soul:
- Red apples. They contain quercetin, an antioxidant that may help reduce the spread of cancer, improve heart health, and have antihistamine benefits. And their soluble fiber slows the oxidation of low–density lipoprotein (LDL — the “bad” cholesterol) while the insoluble fiber helps flush it from your system.
- Pomegranates. The seeds of this exotic fruit contain vitamin C, antioxidants, and phytochemicals that may help protect against breast cancer and heart disease.
- Tomatoes. Their lycopene is a powerful antioxidant for defending against prostate and pancreatic cancers, while the vitamin C is necessary for healthy skin, teeth, and bones.
- Red peppers. Hot chili peppers contain capsaicin, known for its anti–inflammatory properties. Red bell peppers provide twice the vitamin C of an orange and are rich in vitamin A, which promotes healthy eyesight.
- Strawberries. While all berries are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, strawberries have an abundance of vitamin C. They also contain phenols, which protect the heart, and may guard against cancer and inflammation.
- Red wine. A daily glass of its antioxidants may reduce LDL and boost high–density lipoprotein (HDL — the “good” cholesterol).