Brush It Off – those embarrassing white flakes
Most everyone has endured those embarrassing white flakes on their shoulders. This time of year it could be snow or dandruff — a seasonal condition most common in cold weather. Warning signs of the white stuff include dry, itchy scalp, flaking, and red, irritated skin. You’re more prone to dandruff, according to MayoClinic.com, if:
- You’re a male between young adult and middle age
- You have excessive oily skin
- You eat a poor diet
- You have certain illnesses.
If you’re left scratching your head, try these suggestions…
- Purchase over–the–counter dandruff shampoos: There are many to choose from at your local store or pharmacy.
- Get a prescription: Don’t flake out if symptoms persist for several weeks; just visit a doctor. The condition is rarely serious (it’s not contagious) and is often easily treated. A dermatologist may determine your dandruff is being caused from another skin condition, such as seborrheic dermatitis.